Thursday, February 8, 2018

Favorite Name

This week's prompt for Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge is "Favorite Name".  While I don't necessarily have a "favorite name" in the family,  there were a lot of men named John, James and Samuel, lots of woman named Sarah, Hannah and Grace.  I'm sure back in their day you were named for your father or your mother, and aunt of an uncle, your grandparents.  There is one name that does sort of stick out to me on my tree - Emmeline.  There are a couple actually (the Bartley family is big!!).  I know some went by Emma, I'm not sure if they all did.  But I like the way it looks and it is a pretty name.

When I had my own daughters, we chose their middle names to represent their family.  My oldest daughter has my middle name - Christine.  My middle daughter has the female version of her dad's name - Dawn.  For my youngest, we named her after both of her grandmothers - Kaylee...Kaye being my mom's middle name and Lea being my mother-in-law's middle name.  I'm kind of hoping the girls will continue this on with their children one day.  We'd have done the same thing if we would have had boys - Robert after my husband and father-in-law and Scott after my dad.

When I was expecting my oldest daughter we chose the name Jordan.  My grandma sent me a letter one day and ended it with "PS.  Have you ever considered the name Emilie?  It was my grandmother's name".  I lost that letter in a move years ago (I cried for hours!) but it still makes me smile thinking about it.  And no, I never considered it.  She is so not an Emilie!!



No comments:

Post a Comment