Friday, January 19, 2018

Longevity

Eliza Jane (Bartley) Haynes


When I saw that this week's prompt for #52ancestors was Longevity, I knew who I would be writing about.  While I have several ancestors who lived well into their 90s, I have only found one who lived into her 100s.

Eliza Jane Bartley was born in August 1830 in Lee County, Virginia.  She was the first of ten children born to James and Sarah (Speak) Bartley.  A newspaper article found in the scrapbook of a distant cousin, Gladys Bartley, talks about how there was "very little opportunity for an education or social training, but in her character was woven the warp and woof of industry, honesty, truth and the highest respect for Christian living".

Homeplace of Eliza Bartley Haynes.  Photo taken by Charles Thomas sometime between 1915-1920.

In 1850, she married Jonathan Haynes.  They moved just a mile and a half from the home she was born in and established a home of their own.  According to the newspaper article, their first home was built on top of a hill, but they later moved their home into the hollow where there was plenty of good water.  She lived in this home till the day she died.  The 1910 census shows she had 13 children and only seven were living at that time.  I know of only nine children and I am unsure of the other four, if they died as infants or between census reports or where exactly they fit in.  In May of 1898, her husband, Jonathan, was killed in a tragic sawmill accident while helping to construct a church.  I have been unable to find a newspaper article about the accident, nor have I found an obituary.

Eliza Bartley Haynes' 100th birthday celebration
 
In 1930, the family got together to celebrate Eliza's 100th birthday.  It was decided at that time that a family reunion would be held every August.  This year will be the 88th Bartley family reunion!!  I only just heard of the reunion seven years ago, when I started looking into my family history.  Oh how I wish I had known about it when my grandmother was still here.  I would have loved to have gone with her!!  I will make it one of these years.

The last 10 years or so of her life, Eliza was confined to the home.  Her youngest daughter, Amanda, cared for her during these years.  On December 24, 1932, Eliza passed away.  She was survived by six of her children, many grand children and great grandchildren.  I have been unable to find an obituary for Eliza.

Thank you to cousin, Dolores Ham, for these wonderful photos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment