Sunday, January 28, 2018

Invite to Dinner

My Grandpas - Roger & Ken


I've been thinking all week about who I would like to invite to dinner.  I miss my Grandmas both like crazy and oh, what I wouldn't give for another day with either of them.  But I was fortunate to have had forty some years with both of them,  So instead I decided on my grandpas - Roger and Ken.  My grandpa Roger died only a month after my second birthday.  My grandpa Ken died only six months later.  I've often wondered how my life would have been different if my grandpas had been a part of it longer than those two years.

My grandpa Roger was an only child.  I would ask him about his parents.  His dad was not really a part of his life but I'd ask what he did know about him and what memories he had of him.  I'd ask about his time in WWII where he was a pilot.  I'd ask how he met my grandma and how he knew she was the one.  I'd ask about my dad and uncles as children.

I'd ask my grandpa Ken about his childhood.  He grew up working on his brother's farm and money was always tight.  At some point he moved away to Texas.  I'd ask him how he met my grandma and what made them move back to Minnesota.

Mostly I would just listen.  To anything and everything they had to say.  I have been to visit their graves and felt a little sad when I did...I know I missed out on having them in my life.  So I would just soak it all in!!


No comments:

Post a Comment